• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sutton United Match Thread

#81 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:23 PM

View PostBlue roan lily, on 23 March 2019 - 04:38 PM, said:

Great result today. Man of the match for me either Magiure or Denton. Would have put Rowley in contention as well if he played the first half like he did in the second. Well played lads.

Denton for me - they just couldn't handle him. Great to see the understanding between Denton and Boden flourishing more and more.

This post has been edited by sophocles: 23 March 2019 - 05:24 PM

#82 User is offline   born in 1866 

• DOH !!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:26 PM

View PostNerima Spireite, on 23 March 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

Imposter! Where’s Trev?!?

Well, he arrived in jocular form. I’ll take the liberty of telling you that “Maths/Marhematics” is not a collective noun (like “the media/police”) which can take a singular or plural form of the “be” verb (as in “the media/police is/are...”) but a simple noun which, like “physics,” is representative of one concept and is used in the singular form only. Whatever the dictionary says, I’ve only ever heard “Physics/Maths is (not “are”) (a nightmare)”. Language rules are based on actual use and do mutate/change over time. Though I do half agree with Johnny Spireite that the yanks always dumb things down to make it easier to understand for themselves....

Is that satisfactory, Trev?

Eye woz just abowt 2 say that butt u beet me 2 it 😎
"It's that simple" © Paul Cook 2012

#83 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:26 PM

View PostBenno Spire, on 23 March 2019 - 05:10 PM, said:

And the icing on the cake

Mansfield lose at home to drop out of autos

Looking at the attendance the people of Mansfield have given promotion the thumbs down.

#84 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:29 PM

View PostFit as a Nelson, on 23 March 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:

Evans is very good, Quite possibly player of the season.

Has to be him.

Be nice if we could get Chapman on a season long loan next season. He’s far from the finished product but he’s a good technical player.

#85 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:34 PM

My thoughts too, Evans surely has to be player of the season. Strong in defence, adds goals AND a makeshift keeper. I really hope Shez keeps Boden/Denton combo for next season as they seem to have clicked and will make a formidable attack force. I think Shez ought to try Sharman or Alex Render in defence and leave Yarney out.

#86 User is offline   born in 1866 

• DOH !!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

View PostGoku, on 23 March 2019 - 05:29 PM, said:

Has to be him.

Be nice if we could get Chapman on a season long loan next season. He’s far from the finished product but he’s a good technical player.

If, or should I say, when Lincoln go up, he may be surplus to requirements.

#87 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:37 PM

View Postborn in 1866, on 23 March 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

Is assume there may be a few Lincoln don’t keep that certainly would do a job here.
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#88 User is offline   born in 1866 

• DOH !!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:42 PM

View Postgordon_brittas, on 23 March 2019 - 05:37 PM, said:

Is assume there may be a few Lincoln don’t keep that certainly would do a job here.

Lincoln's style of play makes mad dogs look like Brazil.

No thanks

#89 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:46 PM

View Postwhittman, on 23 March 2019 - 03:32 PM, said:

A classic case of Sutton being unable to start with the same intensity in the second half as they played in the first

For once we held out and did not concede in the first half and stepped up the pace at the start of the second with Bodens goal being crucial to the cause meaning Sutton had to push even further allowing us to exploit the gaps at the back

Sutton did not really threaten in the second half compared to the first wheras we could have had at least a coup0le more towards the end

Tbf I don't actually think Sutton posed much threat in the first half really, they just knocked it about well due to our sitting deep and many of the passes were across field rather than causing us any real issues.
East stand second class citizen.

#90 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:47 PM

View PostGoku, on 23 March 2019 - 05:29 PM, said:

Has to be him.

He is, but he struggles with the pace and physicality of the game. But what do I know? I said the same about Clucas at first.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#91 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:50 PM

View Postborn in 1866, on 23 March 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

Not for me. Yes he has a sweet left foot but isn't keen on tackling or running fast down the wing.

I would like to think Shez knows of a better left winger/left wing back.

#92 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:05 PM

View Postwhittman, on 23 March 2019 - 03:32 PM, said:

A classic case of Sutton being unable to start with the same intensity in the second half as they played in the first

For once we held out and did not concede in the first half and stepped up the pace at the start of the second with Bodens goal being crucial to the cause meaning Sutton had to push even further allowing us to exploit the gaps at the back

Sutton did not really threaten in the second half compared to the first wheras we could have had at least a coup0le more towards the end

Sutton were a good, hard working, passing side but for all their efforts I can’t recall more than one effort they had on target and that includes shots from outside the box. I’m sure all Town fans have heaved a huge sigh of relieve at that win. Better defending though. No backing off into a shell and a willingness to play the ball out of trouble. Quality goal from Boden and two great headers from Denton. Make sure you catch them. I think Sheridan has a good idea of what he needs next season.

#93 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:34 PM

Marvellous what an England call-up does for the confidence. Joe Rowley looked a different player in the second half, and he wasn't bad in the first, but a partnership of him and Carter, despite their obvious advantages, isn't strong enough in the kind of midfield scrap we expect to meet.
Which brings me to a midfielder who is strong enough - Loz Maguire was my MoM. Playing in an unfamiliar position normally occupied by Robbie Weir, and behind a midfield of less than tigerish tacklers, he held the whole thing together first half. Always available and wanting the ball, breaking up attacks and with good distribution (especially the cross for Denton's goal) I thought he was sensational in the circumstances. If he can kick on from that and get more familiar with the role it's problem position sorted next season.
Them England selectors obviously know a thing or two. Never thought I'd say that.

#94 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:59 PM

[quote name='h again' timestamp='1553366066' post='1460126']
Marvellous what an England call-up does for the confidence. Joe Rowley looked a different player in the second half, and he wasn't bad in the first, but a partnership of him and Carter, despite their obvious advantages, isn't strong enough in the kind of midfield scrap we expect to meet.
Which brings me to a midfielder who is strong enough - Loz Maguire was my MoM. Playing in an unfamiliar position normally occupied by Robbie Weir, and behind a midfield of less than tigerish tacklers, he held the whole thing together first half. Always available and wanting the ball, breaking up attacks and with good distribution (especially the cross for Denton's goal) I thought he was sensational in the circumstances. If he can kick on from that and get more familiar with the role it's problem position sorted next season.
Them England selectors obviously know a thing or two. Never thought I'd say that.
[/]

It helps when one of the Scouts is a town fan

#95 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:03 PM

View Postfrearsghost, on 23 March 2019 - 06:05 PM, said:

Sutton were a good, hard working, passing side but for all their efforts I can’t recall more than one effort they had on target and that includes shots from outside the box. I’m sure all Town fans have heaved a huge sigh of relieve at that win. Better defending though. No backing off into a shell and a willingness to play the ball out of trouble. Quality goal from Boden and two great headers from Denton. Make sure you catch them. I think Sheridan has a good idea of what he needs next season.

Sutton had 2 good shots in the first half that missed the target but generally didn't look like creating a goal. I thought we were the better side and on balance deserved to win by a couple of goals

#96 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:36 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 23 March 2019 - 07:03 PM, said:

Sutton had 2 good shots in the first half that missed the target but generally didn't look like creating a goal. I thought we were the better side and on balance deserved to win by a couple of goals

Missed by a distance and no attempts second half. Over ninty minutes we were far the better side
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#97 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:45 PM

Loves a booming diag does Evans.

#98 User is offline   Spire-Heights 

• Legend

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:47 PM

Evans is my player of the season (even if it’s just for the Ebbsfleet performance alone).
Show class, have pride, and display character.If you do, winning takes care of itself.

#99 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:54 PM

View Postsophocles, on 23 March 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:

Denton for me - they just couldn't handle him. Great to see the understanding between Denton and Boden flourishing more and more.

i agree bodens anticipating where dents is going to head it on

#100 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:55 PM

View PostSpire-Heights, on 23 March 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

Evans is my player of the season (even if it’s just for the Ebbsfleet performance alone).

Evans has turned his season around just as Sam Hird did many moons ago

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users