• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Euros Thread

#421 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 23 June 2024 - 09:13 PM

Seeing the slo mo on tv that was 100% a penalty.
East stand second class citizen.

#422 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 23 June 2024 - 11:00 PM

How he?s not given a pen I?ve no idea?gives that it?s a whole different game as guy who committed the foul was on a yellow so likely got a second.

#423 User is online   azul 

• Legend

Posted 23 June 2024 - 11:07 PM

View PostJonB, on 23 June 2024 - 11:00 PM, said:

How he?s not given a pen I?ve no idea?gives that it?s a whole different game as guy who committed the foul was on a yellow so likely got a second.

Why didn?t Armstrong play the ball? Almost stopped and opted to get into a wrestling match with the defender.
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#424 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 24 June 2024 - 04:16 AM

azul, on 23 June 2024 - 11:07 PM, said:

Why didn?t Armstrong play the ball? Almost stopped and opted to get into a wrestling match with the defender.

Because there is a better chance scoring from a pen and their guy was on a yellow too

#425 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 24 June 2024 - 07:37 AM

View Postazul, on 23 June 2024 - 11:07 PM, said:

He never really had the ball in a place to play it for a shot on goal and in the process of doing that he got across the defender who took him out.

#426 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2024 - 07:49 AM

It should have at least gone to a VAR check because in other matches incidents less serious have had a visible VAR check signal on the screen

As has been said though the officials quickly realised that giving a penalty would have meant the defender being sent off for at least 2 yellow cards if not a straight red

They probably opted for the anything for an easier life approach though

#427 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2024 - 07:57 AM

View PostOsborne again, on 23 June 2024 - 09:00 PM, said:

Watch Hungary go on to win it 🤔. Both very poor teams to be honest.

with the big centre forward smashing a 30 yarder into the top corner in the last minute for the winning goal lol

#428 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 24 June 2024 - 08:06 AM

No one mentions, that a fraction of a second before the Hungarians knee making contact with Armstrong, Armstrong grabs a handful of the Hungarians shirt,this pulling/stretching of the shirt would be more obvious than the knee contact to the ref (probably in a poor position)who probably deemed it 6 of one and half a dozen of the otherand played on, so maybe deemed not a clear and obvious error by VAR. Who knows?
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#429 User is offline   sherbet fountain 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2024 - 09:29 AM

Armstrong narrowed the gap, pulled the Defender on to him, initiating the contact that brought him down. He should have shot.
NORTHAMPTON 783

#430 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2024 - 01:25 PM

Sounds like Gallagher in for TAA tomorrow which just highlights how basic Southgate is. We have been dreadful with the ball so far so he brings in a runner rather than someone who can help us keep the ball.

#431 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 24 June 2024 - 01:28 PM

hilly81, on 24 June 2024 - 01:25 PM, said:

Sounds like Gallagher in for TAA tomorrow which just highlights how basic Southgate is. We have been dreadful with the ball so far so he brings in a runner rather than someone who can help us keep the ball.

Such a dreary decision on paper. I think we?ll comfortably beat Slovenia as they play 4-4-2 and part of our problem against the Serbs and the Danes is that they always had a +1 on us at the back cos they played with 3 CB?s. We?ll see - we need a convincing win.

#432 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 24 June 2024 - 01:34 PM

Gallagher will do more of a press as he's more of a runner, also gets into the box and a goal threat. What we havent done is get players past Kane to give defenders another threat to think about. About the only time was when Bellingham scored in the first game.

#433 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 24 June 2024 - 09:00 PM

Shame to see the Italians go through but great finish.
Go on, neg me, FORZA, I love it!

sherbet fountain, on 24 June 2024 - 09:29 AM, said:

Armstrong narrowed the gap, pulled the Defender on to him, initiating the contact that brought him down. He should have shot.

Criminal really, by Armstrong. If he?d have tried to score and been fouled then fair enough but the daft sod didn?t try and score.
These go to eleven.

#434 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 24 June 2024 - 09:20 PM

We're through to the knock-out stages without playing tonight, as Croatia are officially out and Hungary have played all their group games and can only get the 3 points they've got we're guaranteed a 3rd place with the 4 points we've already got.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#435 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 24 June 2024 - 09:39 PM

Johnnyspireite7, on 24 June 2024 - 09:20 PM, said:

We're through to the knock-out stages without playing tonight, as Croatia are officially out and Hungary have played all their group games and can only get the 3 points they've got we're guaranteed a 3rd place with the 4 points we've already got.

And there will still be wallys on here telling us they could do better than Southgate- unbelievable but absolutely true.

#436 User is offline   FORZA AZZURRI 

• World Champions 1934*1938** 1982***2006****
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2024 - 09:45 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 24 June 2024 - 09:00 PM, said:

Don?t know what your problem is pal but maybe we ought to meet up for a nice glass of Italian red to discuss what your issue are and maybe I can help you ?

Criminal really, by Armstrong. If he?d have tried to score and been fouled then fair enough but the daft sod didn?t try and score.

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 24 June 2024 - 09:00 PM, said:

Don?t know what your problem is pal but maybe we ought to meet up for a nice glass of Italian red to discuss what your issue are and maybe I can help you ?
World Champions 1934 1938 1982 2006 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Euro Champions 1968” 2020”

#437 User is offline   Brookie 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My Dad took me to my first game at Saltergate age 5, he never did say what I'd done wrong, been hooked ever since

Posted 25 June 2024 - 07:07 AM

sophocles said:

1719265163[/url]' post='1826289']
And there will still be wallys on here telling us they could do better than Southgate- unbelievable but absolutely true.

We may have qualified but does anyone believe Southgate has the tactical nouse or plan to beat a quality team in the knockout stage?

If replacing Alexander-Arnold with Gallagher is the master plan then I am underwhelmed.

#438 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 25 June 2024 - 07:25 AM

View PostBrookie, on 25 June 2024 - 07:07 AM, said:

We may have qualified but does anyone believe Southgate has the tactical nouse or plan to beat a quality team in the knockout stage?

If replacing Alexander-Arnold with Gallagher is the master plan then I am underwhelmed.

Think its pretty clear from this thread to date that a lot of folk had made their up long before any performances etc in this tournament. They are well down the lane of if we win its in spite of him and if we lose its his fault. While i've questioned a few things he's done so far in this tournament i do think as well he has been let down by some players who are playing well below what they are capable of.

#439 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 25 June 2024 - 07:34 AM

JonB, on 25 June 2024 - 07:25 AM, said:

Think its pretty clear from this thread to date that a lot of folk had made their up long before any performances etc in this tournament. They are well down the lane of if we win its in spite of him and if we lose its his fault. While i've questioned a few things he's done so far in this tournament i do think as well he has been let down by some players who are playing well below what they are capable of.

People had made up their mind because since 2018 the evidence is there that he doesn?t have a plan B, his dour and negative way of playing and his inability to capitalise on great chances in tournaments
East stand second class citizen.

#440 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2024 - 07:38 AM

Johnnyspireite7, on 24 June 2024 - 09:20 PM, said:

Impressive really, ?we appear to have qualified for the knock out stages by mistake?
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

Share this topic:

• (30 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users