• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gateshead

#41 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 06 January 2024 - 12:02 PM

View Postdim view, on 06 January 2024 - 12:00 PM, said:

According to the podcast, we were hosting SUFC v SWFC under 23’s on Tuesday night, and the NL made us play Gateshead on Wednesday. Then somebody got the Deedah fixture moved to April to protect the pitch.
It’s worked out for our schedule so nobody wanted the arrangements changing.

Fair enough, thanks for the info.

#42 User is offline   DerbySpireite59 

• DerbySpireite57
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2024 - 06:42 AM

View Postdim view, on 06 January 2024 - 12:00 PM, said:

According to the podcast, we were hosting SUFC v SWFC under 23’s on Tuesday night, and the NL made us play Gateshead on Wednesday. Then somebody got the Deedah fixture moved to April to protect the pitch.
It’s worked out for our schedule so nobody wanted the arrangements changing.

The lads looked exhausted at the end yesterday. The extra days recovery will be welcomed. The disspointnent will have dissipated a bit more too.
"No one is 100% good, nor 100% evil"

#43 User is offline   DerbySpireite59 

• DerbySpireite57
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2024 - 07:15 AM

View Postsophocles, on 06 January 2024 - 10:59 AM, said:

I've been wondering the same. The only downside is that it means Barnet will play two league games before we play our next one, and Bromley will play one today. I'm not really bothered about it, but it does mean Barnet could close the gap to one point, so the usual suspects will be flooding the board with their predictions of doom. Of course we'll have more games in hand, but it would be great if Barnet and/or Bromley dropped points before Wednesday night.

Being pedantic, I'm 99% sure that Barnet could have closed the gap to 4 points, not 1.

The doom predictors are probably just extremely cautious folk, rather than overly optimistic ones.

One fact to take in to account, either way you look at it, is that 8 of our 10 remaining away games are against teams in the top half of the table.

We've only played 5 against teams in the top 14 of the table and taken an average of just 0.8 points from them. 1 W 1 D 3 L.

That's a concern to me.

Another fact is that our home form can hardly get better, so can only, really, only be maintained or get worse.

That's a concern for me.

I'm not predicting doom, nor am I predicting winning the title with 3+ games to spare, like many are.

We all see the same things, but through different eyes.

There's good reason behind the age old adage "if it seems too good to he true, then it probably isn't".

That said there's also good reason behind the old adage "enjoy the journey, because you never know when it'll end".

#44 User is offline   HoneyTrippa 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2024 - 08:04 AM

I know its a Weds night game and folk have work, kids at school etc....but lets try and have a bumper crowd at the SMH stadium to cheer the lads on after their FACUP exploits. Makes a difference when North Stand is populated and we have all sides.
There aint no Soul left in these old shoes... since you've been gone

#45 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2024 - 09:48 AM

View PostHoneyTrippa, on 07 January 2024 - 08:04 AM, said:

I know its a Weds night game and folk have work, kids at school etc....but lets try and have a bumper crowd at the SMH stadium to cheer the lads on after their FACUP exploits. Makes a difference when North Stand is populated and we have all sides.

No need to try it will be a bumper gate.
lindave

#46 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 07 January 2024 - 09:58 AM

View PostDerbySpireite59, on 07 January 2024 - 07:15 AM, said:

Being pedantic, I'm 99% sure that Barnet could have closed the gap to 4 points, not 1.

The doom predictors are probably just extremely cautious folk, rather than overly optimistic ones.

One fact to take in to account, either way you look at it, is that 8 of our 10 remaining away games are against teams in the top half of the table.

We've only played 5 against teams in the top 14 of the table and taken an average of just 0.8 points from them. 1 W 1 D 3 L.

That's a concern to me.

Another fact is that our home form can hardly get better, so can only, really, only be maintained or get worse.

That's a concern for me.

I'm not predicting doom, nor am I predicting winning the title with 3+ games to spare, like many are.

We all see the same things, but through different eyes.

There's good reason behind the age old adage "if it seems too good to he true, then it probably isn't".

That said there's also good reason behind the old adage "enjoy the journey, because you never know when it'll end".

Away form absolutely a concern
JRID

#47 User is online   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 07 January 2024 - 10:43 AM

View PostSearch & Destroy, on 07 January 2024 - 09:58 AM, said:

Away form absolutely a concern

Is it? 28 points from 13 games which is a league high. 3 more than 2nd best oldham who have played an away game extra.
Here we go again!

#48 User is offline   DerbySpireite59 

• DerbySpireite57
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2024 - 10:53 AM

View PostTrigger, on 07 January 2024 - 10:43 AM, said:

Is it? 28 points from 13 games which is a league high. 3 more than 2nd best oldham who have played an away game extra.

You're spot on, of course. However, 8 of our 10 remaining away games are against teams in the top half of the table.

Should that be of any concern?

#49 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 07 January 2024 - 10:54 AM

View PostDerbySpireite59, on 07 January 2024 - 10:53 AM, said:

You're spot on, of course. However, 8 of our 10 remaining away games are against teams in the top half of the table.

No, we go and improve those stats
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#50 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 07 January 2024 - 11:10 AM

I think we are trying hard to be less optimistic . Although that’s hard. We have 11 games left at home. Bromley have just 9 at home and 9 away. Their home and away form is worse than ours.
When we’ve lost we’ve tended to gift goals (see Southend and Solihull)
We are bombing, and have cover all over the field. From what I’ve seen the football we played yesterday was outstanding for this level. (What a goal that would have been had the Banks volley escaped the keeper).
What possibly can go wrong?
I’m leaving the caution to the management team.

#51 User is online   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 07 January 2024 - 11:19 AM

Nah. Win the home games and we'll be on 95 points. Dagenham and dorking have the 21st and 22nd worst home form in the league and we have to go to them. Should we win those and the home games that's 101 points. Bromley imo won't get to 100 (110 is their max now).

Will we not win a game against any of the top 10 away? Something massive will have gone wrong if we don't. It's up to the players though as always

Edit. York are in the bottom half too

This post has been edited by Trigger: 07 January 2024 - 11:21 AM

Here we go again!

#52 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2024 - 11:29 AM

Forget the stats, our only real target is to finish the season on more points than any other team in our league. We will most probably win, lose, and draw some games during the course of the rest of the season. There is a reasonable possibility that our competitors will too.

So, we are in a good position with the chance to improve on that with our games in hand. Bromley have 3 less games to play so our first target is to gain as many points from our 21 games as they do from their 18. We can consider Barnet in a similar way.

As such, the only team that can stop us is ourselves, it's in our hands and we need to grasp it. As our performances have shown, we can compete home and away against teams at a higher level. We have a fully fit squad of 20 players all of whom appear capable of performing to the level required whilst we still have 4 players out on loan getting valuable game time. Reasons to be cheerful and remain positive. Enjoy.

#53 User is offline   Spireite93 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2024 - 11:41 AM

View Postspireitetoo, on 07 January 2024 - 10:54 AM, said:

And if we don't or only do ever so slightly, we probably still win the league with our home form

#54 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 07 January 2024 - 11:46 AM

View PostFORZA AZZURRI, on 03 January 2024 - 09:21 PM, said:

Hope the pitch can stand up to two games in two days

B****Y Deedars derby on the Tuesday night !

Cancelled
God I hate this league.

#55 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2024 - 11:50 AM

We’ve not drawn many games at all this season, so it’s likely we will draw some away in the games still to play.

Key games for me are the away games at Bromley and Barnet, just hoping we don’t see the tepid displays from last season where we were awful in both. Like to see the same impetus away at these sides like we do at home. Someone is due a thrashing.

Some real tough games to come. Just hope come the end of April we can say a final goodbye to this a*sehole of a league. I will never ever moan about Crewe or Gilliingham away on a crappy weather Tuesday night in the League.
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#56 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2024 - 11:54 AM

Also we only need to have a second half of the season half as good as the first to get around the 90 point mark, and the fantastic first half of the season means all the pressure is on the chasing teams to keep winning. We’ve put ourselves in a position where we can have an off day, like Solihull, and it still not cause significant damage to us.

In terms of game management going forward, all the challenging teams we’re due to play have to beat us, and also beat each other. We have to not lose, and hopefully any team that wants to attack us from the get-go will create space for us to pick them off.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#57 User is online   Osborne again 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 07 January 2024 - 12:30 PM

View PostPhil V 72, on 07 January 2024 - 11:54 AM, said:

Also we only need to have a second half of the season half as good as the first to get around the 90 point mark, and the fantastic first half of the season means all the pressure is on the chasing teams to keep winning. We’ve put ourselves in a position where we can have an off day, like Solihull, and it still not cause significant damage to us.

In terms of game management going forward, all the challenging teams we’re due to play have to beat us, and also beat each other. We have to not lose, and hopefully any team that wants to attack us from the get-go will create space for us to pick them off.

I wouldn't like to be a manager, trying to set up a team to outscore us, home or away. The loss on boxing day was a travesty, but it happens, and will happen again. The same goes for the teams below us,but the difference is that we're six points in the clear with three games in hand. If we gain four points from those three games, it'll take us to ten points above our main rivals, which is a nice place to be.
Will we win by ten or twelve clear points, maybe not, but I can't see us having a drastic loss of form on the scale of last season either. It's far from done, and Cookie knows that, but I have faith in him getting this team over the line. Three points on Wednesday will be a start.

#58 User is offline   DerbySpireite59 

• DerbySpireite57
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2024 - 12:51 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on 07 January 2024 - 10:54 AM, said:

I really hope that you're right, and I'm proven to be too wary.

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 07 January 2024 - 11:10 AM, said:

I think we are trying hard to be less optimistic . Although that’s hard. We have 11 games left at home. Bromley have just 9 at home and 9 away. Their home and away form is worse than ours.
When we’ve lost we’ve tended to gift goals (see Southend and Solihull)
We are bombing, and have cover all over the field. From what I’ve seen the football we played yesterday was outstanding for this level. (What a goal that would have been had the Banks volley escaped the keeper).
What possibly can go wrong?
I’m leaving the caution to the management team.

I really hope you're proven right, and that my concerns are put well and truly to bed.

#59 User is offline   DerbySpireite59 

• DerbySpireite57
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2024 - 12:54 PM

View PostTrigger, on 07 January 2024 - 11:19 AM, said:

Nah. Win the home games and we'll be on 95 points. Dagenham and dorking have the 21st and 22nd worst home form in the league and we have to go to them. Should we win those and the home games that's 101 points. Bromley imo won't get to 100 (110 is their max now).

Will we not win a game against any of the top 10 away? Something massive will have gone wrong if we don't. It's up to the players though as always

Edit. York are in the bottom half too

Fair enough. However, if we do implode at home, I suggest the fans will have been a factor. It's not all on the players. I'm not doom mongering, just wary that there's such a long way to go.

#60 User is offline   DerbySpireite59 

• DerbySpireite57
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2024 - 12:59 PM

View Postdtp, on 07 January 2024 - 11:29 AM, said:

Forget the stats, our only real target is to finish the season on more points than any other team in our league. We will most probably win, lose, and draw some games during the course of the rest of the season. There is a reasonable possibility that our competitors will too.

So, we are in a good position with the chance to improve on that with our games in hand. Bromley have 3 less games to play so our first target is to gain as many points from our 21 games as they do from their 18. We can consider Barnet in a similar way.

As such, the only team that can stop us is ourselves, it's in our hands and we need to grasp it. As our performances have shown, we can compete home and away against teams at a higher level. We have a fully fit squad of 20 players all of whom appear capable of performing to the level required whilst we still have 4 players out on loan getting valuable game time. Reasons to be cheerful and remain positive. Enjoy.

I am enjoying the ride, as you never know when it'll end. You make a lot of good points tbf. That said, nothing's over until the fat lady sings. I just wish she'd hurry up.

Share this topic:

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users