• You cannot reply to this topic

Wigan

#21 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 May 2023 - 07:45 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 30 May 2023 - 06:27 AM, said:

Assuming no cash in the bank, is the ground/land owned by the club? That’s about all they have of value surely. Much call for building land that way?

They appear to. Not sure on any value.
The accounts show the football club lost £1.7M to 30 June 2022- all funded by one of Piley's group companies. Can't understand why there's little publicity about their apparent perilous state.
Anyone know how to tweet Kieran Maguire to ask for his opinion?

#22 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:12 AM

View Postgordon_brittas, on 27 May 2023 - 06:01 PM, said:

Hopefully. These along with Salford, Forest Green, Crawley, Morecambe do not deserve to be in the EFL.

Morecambe and Crawley are fine. Long standing clubs who came from non league on merit. I went to an FA cup game at Crawley 20 years ago when they only had 3 sides of the ground and the cup game was the record attendance a little over 1100. Morecambe the same, slowly improved and got there on merit.

Forest green - a town smaller than boza, with a club manufactured by an owner with an ego. He goes on about sustainability but without his money Nailsworth can’t sustain a league football club. There’s nothing sustainable about FGR. The man is a hypocrite

Salford - the worst kind of club. Nicknamed the Ammies due to a proud tradition of amateur status and played in orange kits. Hi jacked by the egos of the “class of 92” with huge amounts of foreign money and turned into a small wanna be Man Utd by egos who won’t test their ability by being coaches or managers. Kit changed to Man Utd colours. It would be like town being taken over by a bunch of Dee dah ex players who care nothing for the history and tradition and changing the clubs kit to blue and white shirt. F@%K that.

I dislike this outfit almost as much as the yellow stain, MK Dons and Liverpool.

If the 92 lot really wanted to get involved and cared about lower league football why didn’t they get involved with Bury? Develop that club? Build a grass roots local club with history?

They don’t get it. You may get married and divorced and married again. You may change jobs and career paths. You might move to another country- but once your a fan of a football club, you don’t change that - it’s an identity, it’s a tribe you will always belong to.

They don’t get it

This post has been edited by Wooden Spoon: 30 May 2023 - 08:17 AM

A new hope.

#23 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:02 AM

View PostWooden Spoon, on 30 May 2023 - 08:12 AM, said:

Morecambe and Crawley are fine. Long standing clubs who came from non league on merit. I went to an FA cup game at Crawley 20 years ago when they only had 3 sides of the ground and the cup game was the record attendance a little over 1100. Morecambe the same, slowly improved and got there on merit.

Forest green - a town smaller than boza, with a club manufactured by an owner with an ego. He goes on about sustainability but without his money Nailsworth can’t sustain a league football club. There’s nothing sustainable about FGR. The man is a hypocrite

Salford - the worst kind of club. Nicknamed the Ammies due to a proud tradition of amateur status and played in orange kits. Hi jacked by the egos of the “class of 92” with huge amounts of foreign money and turned into a small wanna be Man Utd by egos who won’t test their ability by being coaches or managers. Kit changed to Man Utd colours. It would be like town being taken over by a bunch of Dee dah ex players who care nothing for the history and tradition and changing the clubs kit to blue and white shirt. F@%K that.

I dislike this outfit almost as much as the yellow stain, MK Dons and Liverpool.

If the 92 lot really wanted to get involved and cared about lower league football why didn’t they get involved with Bury? Develop that club? Build a grass roots local club with history?

They don’t get it. You may get married and divorced and married again. You may change jobs and career paths. You might move to another country- but once your a fan of a football club, you don’t change that - it’s an identity, it’s a tribe you will always belong to.

They don’t get it

Well Scholes was born in Salford so maybe he does get it..... and when they bought in, was Bury for sale? And wasnt it in part to capture the United fans who fell out of love with the Premier League because of the obscene amounts of money involved?

You do know you can walk from Old Trafford to Salford dont you..?
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#24 User is offline   Paul Fisher 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:00 AM

View PostJoe Quigley is dynamite, on 30 May 2023 - 06:32 AM, said:

Because they are best suited to local football

Nonsense.

#25 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:10 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 30 May 2023 - 07:45 AM, said:

They appear to. Not sure on any value.
The accounts show the football club lost £1.7M to 30 June 2022- all funded by one of Piley's group companies. Can't understand why there's little publicity about their apparent perilous state.
Anyone know how to tweet Kieran Maguire to ask for his opinion?

They were discussed on one of last week's POF podcasts.

#26 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:14 AM

View PostWooden Spoon, on 30 May 2023 - 08:12 AM, said:

They don’t get it

I’d argue without the rich owner Crawley would have never got promoted to the EFL. They were never well supported, and still aren’t.

Morecambe slightly different, they came up over a period of near misses when it was very easy to get out the National League. If they were to ever drop again, which I think they will, they won’t come back up.
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#27 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:39 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 30 May 2023 - 10:10 AM, said:

They were discussed on one of last week's POF podcasts.

Cheers - missed that.
Looking at POF tweets and replies on the matter are interesting. Piley’s 18 year old daughter appointed as a director on 25 May, terminated on 26 May. Son, aged 26, appointed on 25 May, terminated again on 26 May. Says a lot- chaos.
Laughable are the posts from their fans, basically it’s a well run sustainable club. Nothing to see.
Not sure where they think the next c. £1.5M loss funding is coming from.

#28 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:41 AM

View Postgordon_brittas, on 30 May 2023 - 10:14 AM, said:

I’d argue without the rich owner Crawley would have never got promoted to the EFL. They were never well supported, and still aren’t.

Morecambe slightly different, they came up over a period of near misses when it was very easy to get out the National League. If they were to ever drop again, which I think they will, they won’t come back up.

So of we got a rich owner who bankrolled us to the championship or even the premiership, would you say we didnt deserve it? Thought not...

Football isnt about who has the biggest fan base or the best history, its about who wins games. Those that are above us are there because they did and we didnt....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#29 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 30 May 2023 - 11:32 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 30 May 2023 - 10:41 AM, said:

So of we got a rich owner who bankrolled us to the championship or even the premiership, would you say we didnt deserve it? Thought not...

Football isnt about who has the biggest fan base or the best history, its about who wins games. Those that are above us are there because they did and we didnt....

We had a rich owner - one of the richest men in the U.K. (£150 million +)
He appointed a liar and idiot as his main him guy and we went to non league

#30 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2023 - 12:01 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 30 May 2023 - 11:32 AM, said:

We had a rich owner - one of the richest men in the U.K. (£150 million +)
He appointed a liar and idiot as his main him guy and we went to non league

Not sure he is that rich and of course money doesnt buy success all the time - hence why their success should be applauded.

As should Luton who did it the other way...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#31 User is offline   Sussex Spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Town, Harvey's Old Ale, Weller, Lewes FC and Levante FC

Posted 30 May 2023 - 03:29 PM

Burton Albion are a good example of how to run a football club successfully.
Ben Robertson isn't mega rich, but has taken them from the Northern Premier to the Championship.
Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional

#32 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2023 - 04:54 PM

View PostSussex Spireite, on 30 May 2023 - 03:29 PM, said:

Ben Robertson isn't mega rich, but has taken them from the Northern Premier to the Championship.

Agree with that. Add Walsall in too, who traditionally have had less of a following than that, but seasons in the Championship to boot
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#33 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 30 May 2023 - 06:31 PM

View PostSussex Spireite, on 30 May 2023 - 03:29 PM, said:

The football snobs probably think burton should not be in the efl either but they are a well ran club in a large town and the new ground will have helped alot. Some big blue chip companies in the town too who im sure sponsor them well

#34 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2023 - 06:36 PM

Exactly but if a team have not spent donkeys years in the efl football snobbery rears its ugly head. Bury were a far more established and better supported efl club than crawley et all but never did them any good. Alot of its down to bad management, york and stockport spent a few year in the 6th tier and look at there history and fan bases. Whilst forest green may have reached the efl due to been bankrolled they had been a national league team for 20 year and got there before the big backing

#35 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2023 - 06:38 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 30 May 2023 - 09:02 AM, said:

Well Scholes was born in Salford so maybe he does get it..... and when they bought in, was Bury for sale? And wasnt it in part to capture the United fans who fell out of love with the Premier League because of the obscene amounts of money involved?

They wont have bought bury as the club had been rotten for years and Salford was more of a project to build up. I enjoyed my visit there, whilst the owners my have big egos the fans never and was a nice compact stadium

#36 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 04 June 2023 - 08:00 PM

The latest announcements from Wigan look very worrying for the club with no sign of promised funds leading to resignation of 2 directors
Have passport will travel

#37 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 04 June 2023 - 10:16 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 30 May 2023 - 09:02 AM, said:

Then why change the shirts from orange to a copy of Man Utd if he “gets it” and bought into the identity of the club?

Mits like a wealthy former player coming in and making us change to red and white stripes and black shorts

This post has been edited by Wooden Spoon: 04 June 2023 - 10:19 PM

A new hope.

#38 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 05 June 2023 - 04:36 AM

No Ian it’s much more than that.

Not a chance I’d like them to change the kit from blue to red and white stripes, or completely disrespect the history of the club, what it means to the town and the local population.

I’d rather have my club playing in blue and white in the bottom two divisions. Winning L2 now and then, occasionally troubling the L1 play offs… the odd cup run.

Maybe that’s just me but watching town is much much more than just watching a winning side - if that’s all it was then I’d buy a city shirt and subscribe to sky sports.
A new hope.

#39 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2023 - 08:26 AM

View PostWooden Spoon, on 05 June 2023 - 04:36 AM, said:

No Ian it’s much more than that.

Not a chance I’d like them to change the kit from blue to red and white stripes, or completely disrespect the history of the club, what it means to the town and the local population.

I’d rather have my club playing in blue and white in the bottom two divisions. Winning L2 now and then, occasionally troubling the L1 play offs… the odd cup run.

Maybe that’s just me but watching town is much much more than just watching a winning side - if that’s all it was then I’d buy a city shirt and subscribe to sky sports.

Its a balance isnt it, they were in some version of the Northern Premier League when the famous five took over (or is it 6)... If they needed to make a few changes to get the fans in and the business ticking to get them to EFL why not...?

If we went down to the National League North and someone brought some money and said they would be able to get us back to the EFL but we'd have to play in red, I'd take it. Gallant loser isnt really my thing, and change, however unpalatable it may seem to a few, can be good to make progress.... ;)
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#40 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 05 June 2023 - 10:46 AM

View PostBenno Spire, on 04 June 2023 - 08:00 PM, said:

The latest announcements from Wigan look very worrying for the club with no sign of promised funds leading to resignation of 2 directors

Announcement that they are having new owners who will cover all outstanding debts - This could be interesting.
God I hate this league.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users