• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Resign Gareth

#41 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 21 June 2024 - 11:24 AM

Don't know whether I should say this but Denmark (on paper) were the strongest team in our group behind us, so is a draw so surprising, even if we did play like muppets?
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#42 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 21 June 2024 - 11:29 AM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 21 June 2024 - 11:24 AM, said:

Don't know whether I should say this but Denmark (on paper) were the strongest team in our group behind us, so is a draw so surprising, even if we did play like muppets?

We also needed extra time, scoring the rebound from a saved pen and having to come from behind to get past them in the semi final last time around.

#43 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 21 June 2024 - 11:45 AM

Walton Spireite, on 20 June 2024 - 04:59 PM, said:

Garbage

Expected this from the person who over the years has proven to be the clown who knows nothing about football.

Go watch cricket or Bridgerton

#44 User is offline   dazcarrlegend 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2024 - 12:11 PM

I don't understand all the Southgate hatred- a semi and a final at the last two tournaments. Okay, yesterday was awful, and there is certainly much room for improvement, but if people get behind the team and we leave this group with 7 points, who knows what will happen in the knock-out phases.

#45 User is offline   Carlisle_Spireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 21 June 2024 - 12:43 PM

clarevoyant., on 21 June 2024 - 08:38 AM, said:

You have to question when all and sundry can see the problems, what do the coaching staff see, surely they all can't be of the same mindset or is Southgate such an authoritarian person (I doubt it) that their input is minimal?

Or maybe it's all a big ruse, giving the teams we should meet later a false impression and we then go all guns a blazing and catch them on the hop. :lol:

I've always thought that coaching staff are so deep in it, mentally, that they often can't see the wood for the trees. Analysing every minute detail trying to find a solution instead of just trying the blaringly obvious.

#46 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 21 June 2024 - 12:53 PM

View Postdazcarrlegend, on 21 June 2024 - 12:11 PM, said:

I don't understand all the Southgate hatred- a semi and a final at the last two tournaments. Okay, yesterday was awful, and there is certainly much room for improvement, but if people get behind the team and we leave this group with 7 points, who knows what will happen in the knock-out phases.

A Q/F and final to be exact. Even considering that?..
He?s a turgid, boring, tactically inept and completely out of his depth at this level.
A paradox? Most certainly but true.
I was telling you all this 6 years ago.
East stand second class citizen.

#47 User is offline   Walton Spireite 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2024 - 01:11 PM

calvin plummers socks, on 21 June 2024 - 11:45 AM, said:

Expected this from the person who over the years has proven to be the clown who knows nothing about football.

Go watch cricket or Bridgerton

Physio jog on. I think you will find I am in the majority who want him gone.

#48 User is offline   Bald magician 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2024 - 01:34 PM

No point in calling for Southgate?s head now. Pointless. If we don?t win the euros he will leave. If we do win it most will want him to stay. May as well support em

#49 User is offline   Osborne again 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2024 - 01:37 PM

I think if you asked most England fans what they wanted from their team, they'd reply that they wanted entertainment. As soon as we score, we drop deep and don't hunt for the second goal. We can blame Kane for not holding position and pulling defenders when he moves, Trent Alexander Arnold for not looking after the ball, or Trippier for not sending in crosses, but they don't,all of a sudden become poor players. All three I've mentioned are class players, but trying to play the ball while bunched up in front of the defence isn't going to end well. Kane is having to drop deep to get a touch once we drop off, and Trippier is one of the best attacking full backs we have.
I'm sure Southgate has been watching videos of the Italian teams of old, when they used to go one up and defend as though their lives depended on it. The difference being, is, that's how the Italians played day in day out, we don't. So please Mr Southgate,can we watch some English football giving Harry Kane the chance to score more than one, Trent to be unshackled and given the freedom to do what he does best and allow Trippier to ghost past a full back or two.

#50 User is offline   Brookie 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My Dad took me to my first game at Saltergate age 5, he never did say what I'd done wrong, been hooked ever since

Posted 21 June 2024 - 01:41 PM

dazcarrlegend said:

1718971862[/url]' post='1825913']

The problem is there is no system, no obvious setup in how to approach games, after all this time Southgate still doesn?t know his best team.

If he persists in playing one up front then Kane has to go because he can?t play it, never could and his goal scoring record is masking his deficiencies in this role. Kane has to play in a two or three up front.

Foden and Saka have to rotate on the right hand side.

Leaving Grealish out was a big mistake because he can hold the ball up but Southgate has never trusted him, therefore Gordon or Palmer have to go left.

The midfield has to push up more because the defence is quite solid apart from Trippier who to be fair is another out of position. Has to be Bellingham plus Rice (although not convinced he is international class) plus another but preferably not Gallagher who huffs and puffs but achieves little.

In all I feel that Southgate is trying to fit players into some kind of system (if there is one) rather than playing a way that suits his squad.

#51 User is offline   Valley Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2024 - 02:12 PM

Osborne again, on 21 June 2024 - 01:37 PM, said:

I think if you asked most England fans what they wanted from their team, they'd reply that they wanted entertainment. As soon as we score, we drop deep and don't hunt for the second goal. We can blame Kane for not holding position and pulling defenders when he moves, Trent Alexander Arnold for not looking after the ball, or Trippier for not sending in crosses, but they don't,all of a sudden become poor players. All three I've mentioned are class players, but trying to play the ball while bunched up in front of the defence isn't going to end well. Kane is having to drop deep to get a touch once we drop off, and Trippier is one of the best attacking full backs we have.
I'm sure Southgate has been watching videos of the Italian teams of old, when they used to go one up and defend as though their lives depended on it. The difference being, is, that's how the Italians played day in day out, we don't. So please Mr Southgate,can we watch some English football giving Harry Kane the chance to score more than one, Trent to be unshackled and given the freedom to do what he does best and allow Trippier to ghost past a full back or two.

But according to the England vice captain and the man himself, Southgate hasn?t told the team to drop deep behind the ball.

#52 User is offline   1978blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield Fc , Football in general . Music-Oasis , Queen and Pink Floyd. My Family and gardening.

Posted 21 June 2024 - 02:14 PM

dazcarrlegend, on 21 June 2024 - 12:11 PM, said:

His negative tactics cost us all the time that's why people are on his back. 1-0 up against Croatia in the semi final of 2018 and 1-0 up in the 2020 final v Italy and then Southgate and his negative tactics step in , we should have won both of those games without any problems. The same is happening again , we have world class players but a 2nd rate manager who hasn't got the balls to be brave and take chances.

#53 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2024 - 02:29 PM

View PostOsborne again, on 21 June 2024 - 01:37 PM, said:

I'm not even bothered about being entertained. I just want to see a team playing to a plan, expressing themselves with energy and with players in their proper positions. Not the dull, passive, experimental nonsense we have seen so far.

#54 User is offline   Scooby Doo 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2024 - 03:00 PM

dazcarrlegend, on 21 June 2024 - 12:11 PM, said:

I don't see it as hatred towards Southgate, more of frustration. Like others have already said we have some very capable players in this group, but they are being stifled by the tactics which EVERYONE can see but those who can do something about it. Its by the time the journos who get access to interview Southgate and players started to to make them them aware of the feelings of the fans and other respected former England players such as Shearer, Ferdinand, Wright Richards and Keane etc.

BTW On another point, did I hear correctly when Kyle Walker was interviewed he mentioned about a hostile atmosphere. I didnt witness a great deal of hostility?

This post has been edited by Scooby Doo: 21 June 2024 - 03:09 PM

Onwards & Upwards!

#55 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 21 June 2024 - 03:14 PM

View PostScooby Doo, on 21 June 2024 - 03:00 PM, said:

I don't see it as hatred towards Southgate, more of frustration. Like others have already said we have some very capable players in this group, but they are being stifled by the tactics which EVERYONE can see but those who can do something about it. Its by the time the journos who get access to interview Southgate and players started to to make them them aware of the feelings of the fans and other respected former England players such as Shearer, Ferdinand, Wright Richards and Keane etc.

BTW On another point, did I hear correctly when Kyle Walker was interviewed he mentioned about a hostile atmosphere. I didnt witness a great deal of hostility?

They will next match v Slovenia, from the England fans if they play the same stupid way!
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#56 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 21 June 2024 - 03:15 PM

Scooby Doo, on 21 June 2024 - 03:00 PM, said:

I think he was referring to his wife and g/f both being in attendance!

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 21 June 2024 - 03:17 PM

East stand second class citizen.

#57 User is offline   Osborne again 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2024 - 03:26 PM

Valley Blues, on 21 June 2024 - 02:12 PM, said:

But according to the England vice captain and the man himself, Southgate hasn?t told the team to drop deep behind the ball.

And that's about as believable as them saying it's all a ploy to fool the other teams. Once maybe, but then, as manager, he sorts it out pronto. Walker coming on the telly basically telling fans they don't know what they're talking about isn't good enough. Fans have paid out hard earned cash to watch the team perform, not sit back and invite the opposition in to score. If it's true that it's the players who are falling back without being told, then let's start with the back four and instill into them to play a high line. Paul Cook wouldn't sit there placid if our lot dropped deep, you'd hear his consternation from the East stand.

#58 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 21 June 2024 - 03:41 PM

Walton Spireite, on 21 June 2024 - 01:11 PM, said:

Physio jog on. I think you will find I am in the majority who want him gone.

The majority of idiots perhaps.

#59 User is offline   Osborne again 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2024 - 05:56 PM

hilly81, on 21 June 2024 - 02:29 PM, said:

I'm not even bothered about being entertained. I just want to see a team playing to a plan, expressing themselves with energy and with players in their proper positions. Not the dull, passive, experimental nonsense we have seen so far.

So you do want to be entertained. I'm with you pal, because what we've seen so far, could, with a bit of luck on the part of our opponents, have seen us with a point, or maybe two at most. I don't think Gareth Southgate has any idea what his best side is, and the talk about missing Philips is laughable, because he's done nothing since leaving Leeds. I love how they're getting the excuses in ready.

#60 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 21 June 2024 - 06:05 PM

Scooby Doo, on 21 June 2024 - 03:00 PM, said:

Respected? Shearer, Wright and Keane? Hmmmm on the pitch definitely

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users