• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Euros Thread

#521 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 25 June 2024 - 10:04 PM

GS ? it?s a strange environment we?re playing in ????? We have to be careful with the young players we have to balance their minutes in a difficult environment WTF GARETH !!!!

Bonnyman, on 25 June 2024 - 09:10 PM, said:

Did Ian wright say sake at left back?idiots

Unbelievable wasn?t it
JRID

#522 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 June 2024 - 10:29 PM

Search & Destroy, on 25 June 2024 - 10:04 PM, said:

GS ? it?s a strange environment we?re playing in ????? We have to be careful with the young players we have to balance their minutes in a difficult environment WTF

Unbelievable wasn?t it

I despair
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#523 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 25 June 2024 - 10:33 PM

View PostTrigger, on 25 June 2024 - 09:53 PM, said:

So, if I've gotten this right...

If Czech Republic and/or Georgia win, we play 3rd in group E (Romania, Belgium, Slovakia, Ukraine).

If neither win, we play Holland.

I think you are correct. I see no combination of 3rd place teams qualifying that would mean we play the 3rd place team in group F
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#524 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 25 June 2024 - 10:42 PM

As I expected, we have the usual entitled nonsense criticising a manager who has won the group, i.e. achieved the aim of the exercise. I thought England totally controlled the game against opponents who just sat back, hoping for the draw, for the entire game. It's difficult to envisage a more one-sided game. England's attacking players, such as Kane, understandably found it difficult to create a clear chance because Slovenia hardly crossed the halfway line - I'm not sure Pickford touched the ball in the second half, except when his own players passed it to him. My message to the moaners is 'stop panicking, realise your team has totally achieved it's initial aim, and look forward to the knockout stage when opposition teams will have to come out from their 10-0-0 formation'. We will see a huge difference in the next game when England's creative players will have room to demonstrate their ability. DON'T PANIC MR
MANNERING!

This post has been edited by sophocles: 25 June 2024 - 10:44 PM

#525 User is offline   Spireite93 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2024 - 10:49 PM

View PostTrigger, on 25 June 2024 - 09:53 PM, said:

So, if I've gotten this right...

If Czech Republic and/or Georgia win, we play 3rd in group E (Romania, Belgium, Slovakia, Ukraine).

If neither win, we play Holland.

From what I can decipher on my wall chart, it's all dependant on Georgia, only a win for them makes it anything other than Holland.... I think?

#526 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 25 June 2024 - 10:57 PM

View Postsophocles, on 25 June 2024 - 10:42 PM, said:

As I expected, we have the usual entitled nonsense criticising a manager who has won the group, i.e. achieved the aim of the exercise. I thought England totally controlled the game against opponents who just sat back, hoping for the draw, for the entire game. It's difficult to envisage a more one-sided game. England's attacking players, such as Kane, understandably found it difficult to create a clear chance because Slovenia hardly crossed the halfway line - I'm not sure Pickford touched the ball in the second half, except when his own players passed it to him. My message to the moaners is 'stop panicking, realise your team has totally achieved it's initial aim, and look forward to the knockout stage when opposition teams will have to come out from their 10-0-0 formation'. We will see a huge difference in the next game when England's creative players will have room to demonstrate their ability. DON'T PANIC MR
MANNERING!

I think the real moaning should start if we fail to make the final. We already had a very favourable draw so winning the group it was absolutely massive and France tripping up was a bonus. We now have what should a clear run to the final unless the dark horse that is Austria trips us up.

#527 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 25 June 2024 - 11:02 PM

View PostSpireite93, on 25 June 2024 - 10:49 PM, said:

From what I can decipher on my wall chart, it's all dependant on Georgia, only a win for them makes it anything other than Holland.... I think?

No, either the Czechs or Georgia can displace Hungary for the last 3rd place slot.

Not sure I fancy either picking up the necessary win although Portugal might be coasting.

#528 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 25 June 2024 - 11:07 PM

azul, on 25 June 2024 - 10:57 PM, said:

I think the real moaning should start if we fail to make the final. We already had a very favourable draw so winning the group it was absolutely massive and France tripping up was a bonus. We now have what should a clear run to the final unless the dark horse that is Austria trips us up.

That's a brilliant example of the entitled nonsense I refer to. No team has an easy run through any stages of a competition like this. Every opponent has hugely talented players desperate to represent their country in the best way possible, so nobody "should" have a clear run to any stage. Every step which progresses England to the next stage will be fiercely contested and immensely difficult, and there is absolutely no logical reason why England or any other team "should" progress to any stage.

#529 User is offline   Spireite93 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2024 - 11:09 PM

View Postazul, on 25 June 2024 - 11:02 PM, said:

No, either the Czechs or Georgia can displace Hungary for the last 3rd place slot.

Not sure I fancy either picking up the necessary win although Portugal might be coasting.

:lol:

I didn't put Italy's late equaliser in! Right you are!

This post has been edited by Spireite93: 25 June 2024 - 11:21 PM

#530 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 25 June 2024 - 11:34 PM

View Postsophocles, on 25 June 2024 - 11:07 PM, said:

That's a brilliant example of the entitled nonsense I refer to. No team has an easy run through any stages of a competition like this. Every opponent has hugely talented players desperate to represent their country in the best way possible, so nobody "should" have a clear run to any stage. Every step which progresses England to the next stage will be fiercely contested and immensely difficult, and there is absolutely no logical reason why England or any other team "should" progress to any stage.

If we have players half as good as they are jacked up to be then we should coast it unless we have really crap manager or incredibly bad luck.

This post has been edited by azul: 25 June 2024 - 11:35 PM

#531 User is offline   Osborne again 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2024 - 03:46 AM

Saka and Walker on the right has really been the only shining light in all three games. You can't judge the subs last night on the fleeting showing, but they seemed to make a difference.
We've won the group stages but Southgate would have egg on his face if Denmark had scored in the last minute dropping us to second place.

#532 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2024 - 04:21 AM

Osborne again, on 26 June 2024 - 03:46 AM, said:

Saka and Walker on the right has really been the only shining light in all three games. You can't judge the subs last night on the fleeting showing, but they seemed to make a difference.
We've won the group stages but Southgate would have egg on his face if Denmark had scored in the last minute dropping us to second place.

Err- they didn't, England finished in FIRST PLACE.

#533 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2024 - 05:54 AM

This England team with all this talent should be coasting through creating multiple chances per game. Ranked 17/24 in terms of shots? Says it all.

#534 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 26 June 2024 - 06:14 AM

Bonnyman, on 25 June 2024 - 09:10 PM, said:

Did Ian wright say sake at left back?idiots

It could hardly make us worse.

#535 User is offline   Osborne again 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2024 - 06:43 AM

sophocles, on 26 June 2024 - 04:21 AM, said:

You don't rely on others to draw or lose, you get it done beyond doubt.

#536 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2024 - 06:55 AM

View PostOsborne again, on 26 June 2024 - 03:46 AM, said:

Saka has been woeful in the last 2 matches.

#537 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 26 June 2024 - 06:56 AM

sophocles, on 26 June 2024 - 04:21 AM, said:

We are a boring team with a boring manager who has taken a world class front 4 and made them look turgid. We qualified from an easy group with 5 points scoring 2 goals. We have contributed to possibly the 3 worst games of the tournament. We will get beaten in the knockouts by the first decent team we play unless we buck our ideas up big time.

#538 User is offline   Brookie 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My Dad took me to my first game at Saltergate age 5, he never did say what I'd done wrong, been hooked ever since

Posted 26 June 2024 - 07:05 AM

sophocles said:

1719355368[/url]' post='1826442']
MANNERING!

Can you honestly see us beating a quality side, Southgate has no clue as to what his best team is or any tactical guile. You don?t get to the finals of a major tournament and experiment with the side. We have at least 3 players in the squad with 20 plus goals last season and only scored twice against crap sides and you say he?s done well to top the group

#539 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2024 - 07:14 AM

View Postsophocles, on 26 June 2024 - 04:21 AM, said:

We have topped a poor group but haven't shown anything to suggest we can go on and win the tournament unfortunately.

#540 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2024 - 07:21 AM

We have (on paper) enough to click into another gear.
If memory serves me right, in tournaments we've started poorly and then turned it on in the later stages - I'll probably be corrected!
I'm hoping now we've 'played it safe' and bored us to near death that Southgate takes the handbrake off and we start playing the football we want to see and that the players are more than capable of doing.

Share this topic:

• (30 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users