• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I Keep Forgetting

#1 User is offline   Bald magician 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 June 2024 - 06:47 AM

It?s three automatic promotion spots next season ! The national league must have brainwashed me into thinking it?s the same hellish situation in the football league!

The dunkley interview filled me with another level of optimism for the incoming season. I was of the mindset that the play offs would an an achievement but the new signings are making me think we have to look at targeting the top 3 positions.

#2 User is offline   Mac's Back 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2024 - 08:26 AM

Bald magician, on 10 June 2024 - 06:47 AM, said:

It?s three automatic promotion spots next season ! The national league must have brainwashed me into thinking it?s the same hellish situation in the football league!

The dunkley interview filled me with another level of optimism for the incoming season. I was of the mindset that the play offs would an an achievement but the new signings are making me think we have to look at targeting the top 3 positions.

I think back-to-back promotions was always the objective.
We're on our way

#3 User is online   martatcross 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2024 - 08:35 AM

In my pessimistic self I honestly think a play off place would be good but there is a good squad here and the possibility of more activity before it kicks off . Top 3 can be achieved let's hope so
Can't salute yer can't find a flag if that don't suit yer that's a drag

#4 User is offline   monte 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2024 - 09:47 AM

I hope we give a good account for ourselves , given Notts didn't go up I think we need to be realistic but hopeful. I'm 65% we'll do it (90% playoffs or above) but if we don't it's not failure, just a delay

#5 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 10 June 2024 - 09:49 AM

Mac, on 10 June 2024 - 08:26 AM, said:

I agree, and with 3 auto places to aim for, we have an unbelievable chance of this happening.
Exciting times

#6 User is offline   Bald magician 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2024 - 10:07 AM

martatcross, on 10 June 2024 - 08:35 AM, said:

In my pessimistic self I honestly think a play off place would be good but there is a good squad here and the possibility of more activity before it kicks off . Top 3 can be achieved let's hope so

I don't think that's pessimistic. I'm happy with a play off spot but that top 3 slot looks tastier each signing we make.

I think the key thing is not to have unrealistic expectations. I fear with 5200 season ticket holders we may have some early dummies spill out if it doesn't quite go out way.

A lense of realism and patience from fans will no doubt help the team and cookie.

#7 User is offline   Painted Wagon 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2024 - 10:14 AM

I?m more of a pessimist, in our first season back I?d be happy with a top half finish. Anything higher is a bonus.

#8 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 10 June 2024 - 11:57 AM

Painted Wagon, on 10 June 2024 - 10:14 AM, said:

I?m more of a pessimist, in our first season back I?d be happy with a top half finish. Anything higher is a bonus.

Looking at our signings to date, and the quality we retained, Id say the management team would be somewhat disappointed if we don?t at least make the play offs.

#9 User is offline   peakblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2024 - 11:59 AM

60s 70s Spireite, on 10 June 2024 - 11:57 AM, said:

Looking at our signings to date, and the quality we retained, Id say the management team would be somewhat disappointed if we don?t at least make the play offs.

Me too,I just hope some of our fans don?t into meltdown if we dont

#10 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 10 June 2024 - 12:38 PM

Mac, on 10 June 2024 - 08:26 AM, said:

Agree - I think Cookie was aiming for that as soon as he came back to CFC. The disappointment of getting so close last season has just made him even more determined to achieve it. Given a reasonable amount of luck, I see top three as being attainable.

#11 User is offline   Mac's Back 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2024 - 12:55 PM

sophocles, on 10 June 2024 - 12:38 PM, said:

Agree - I think Cookie was aiming for that as soon as he came back to CFC. The disappointment of getting so close last season has just made him even more determined to achieve it. Given a reasonable amount of luck, I see top three as being attainable.

Will be interesting to see who is shipped out as the freeing up of budget will doubtless have a significant bearing on the re-shaping still to be done.

This post has been edited by Mac's Back: 10 June 2024 - 12:55 PM

We're on our way

#12 User is online   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 10 June 2024 - 01:18 PM

peakblue, on 10 June 2024 - 11:59 AM, said:

I can think of one who will go into meltdown before we kick a ball in the PSF's.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#13 User is offline   Sussex Spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Town, Harvey's Old Ale, Weller, Lewes FC and Levante FC

Posted 10 June 2024 - 02:42 PM

peakblue, on 10 June 2024 - 11:59 AM, said:

And there lies the problem, some peoples expectations may be a bit too high.
You have to bear in mind both Wrexham and Notts got stuffed in the first game of last season (both shipping 5 goals each!).
Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional

#14 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 10 June 2024 - 03:17 PM

Bald magician, on 10 June 2024 - 06:47 AM, said:

From this mornings Mail sports agenda section.

Sports Agenda: National League net ?6m from top flight and seek EFL deal
Edited by Mike Keegan
THE National League have more than doubled their solidarity payment from the Premier League. Thanks in part to a new competition that will see youngsters from top-flight clubs? academies take on National League sides, the figure will shift from ?3million to north of ?6m when the new campaign kicks off. Focus for the National League will now switch to the EFL, and their attempts to secure a system of three-up, three-down from League Two which would put it in sync with the other leagues and replace the ludicrous situation where only two clubs can be promoted.
East stand second class citizen.

#15 User is online   Osborne again 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2024 - 03:38 PM

I'm happy that we've got out of that cesspit of a league, so if we make the top half of league two I'll think we will have had a good season. If we make the playoffs we'll have a stupendous season and if we go up in any way shape or form, we'll have gone way beyond my expectations. I do think we would have made the top half of league two with last year's squad.
Cook is out to prove to the Sheffield double act that he can take us further than they ever dare wish.

#16 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2024 - 04:05 PM

I think the away form will more or less dictate where we finish next season. If we can ensure we stay tight defensively we will pick up a decent amount of points. Coincidentally I think the home record will be spot on and a few sides will be on the wrong side of a hiding.
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#17 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 10 June 2024 - 04:24 PM

Sussex Spireite, on 10 June 2024 - 02:42 PM, said:

And there lies the problem, some peoples expectations may be a bit too high.
You have to bear in mind both Wrexham and Notts got stuffed in the first game of last season (both shipping 5 goals each!).

We've signed 2 who will be amongst the best players in their positions. We've got a LB whose main strength, from what I've read, overcomes Horton's main weakness - no end product.
We should also strive to get the best goalie in the league. At this level that should be easily achievable with our budget. If that happens we'll win it.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#18 User is offline   philly8mt 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The usual ;-)

Posted 10 June 2024 - 04:30 PM

I think we end up at Wembley again!

#19 User is online   Osborne again 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2024 - 04:32 PM

gordon_brittas, on 10 June 2024 - 04:05 PM, said:

I think the away form will more or less dictate where we finish next season. If we can ensure we stay tight defensively we will pick up a decent amount of points. Coincidentally I think the home record will be spot on and a few sides will be on the wrong side of a hiding.

True, it's always been said that win your home matches and don't lose away and you'll not be far off the right end of the league table. If the defensive players we've brought in shore up the back, and Mike Jones can help mould Tim Akinola into a decent clone of himself, I think we'll do ok.
Has anyone heard anything about a right back on his way in? I was told it was imminent, but to be honest I think we'll use Williams and Mandy to backup Sheckleford.

#20 User is offline   tomjoad 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bruce Springsteen Southside Counting Crows Abbot ale and LMS no 8s!

Posted 10 June 2024 - 04:40 PM

Osborne again, on 10 June 2024 - 04:32 PM, said:

True, it's always been said that win your home matches and don't lose away and you'll not be far off the right end of the league table. If the defensive players we've brought in shore up the back, and Mike Jones can help mould Tim Akinola into a decent clone of himself, I think we'll do ok.
Has anyone heard anything about a right back on his way in? I was told it was imminent, but to be honest I think we'll use Williams and Mandy to backup Sheckleford.

To be honest I cant understand the idea Mandeville is a full back. quite simply he's not.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users