Euros Thread

#121 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 June 2024 - 10:11 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 16 June 2024 - 09:42 PM, said:

Palmer has to start

Instead of who? He?s predominantly played right side for Chelsea this season so are you dropping Saka?

#122 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 16 June 2024 - 10:18 PM

Palmer doesn?t start for me, you want runners off Kane and Saka is a shoe-in for the right. I?d put Gordon left wing to stretch play and Foden to come off the bench.

#123 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 16 June 2024 - 10:20 PM

View PostJonB, on 16 June 2024 - 10:11 PM, said:

Instead of who? He?s predominantly played right side for Chelsea this season so are you dropping Saka?

All day
East stand second class citizen.

#124 User is offline   Rodney's Moustache 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2024 - 10:36 PM

How did Foden manage 90 minutes he was annonymous. Trent contributed nothing in his midfield role  almost costing us a goal. Positives, Mark Guehi's debut looking assured. Favourites to win the competition someones having a laugh.

This post has been edited by Rodney's Moustache: 16 June 2024 - 10:58 PM

#125 User is offline   Zytok 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2024 - 02:11 AM

View PostRodney, on 16 June 2024 - 10:36 PM, said:

How did Foden manage 90 minutes he was annonymous. Trent contributed nothing in his midfield role  almost costing us a goal. Positives, Mark Guehi's debut looking assured. Favourites to win the competition someones having a laugh.

Surely only favourites as the English bookies wont want to pay out a huge chunk if (and it's a remote if) we win it. There'll be plenty of folk who normally wouldn't bother, placing a fun bet.

#126 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2024 - 06:56 AM

One positive for me was despite worries about the defence, we were pretty solid at the back. Yes, we have to improve but if we can take that first half an hour and extend it to more of the game, we should be ok. I thought this one might be a banana skin for us, so happy to take 3 points in this one.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#127 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 17 June 2024 - 07:22 AM

View PostZytok, on 17 June 2024 - 02:11 AM, said:

Surely only favourites as the English bookies wont want to pay out a huge chunk if (and it's a remote if) we win it. There'll be plenty of folk who normally wouldn't bother, placing a fun bet.

This, i think some folk are taking the fact we are favourites with english bookies a bit too literally. They are just covering their backs knowing plenty of folk will back England and dont want to pay out a fortune. Not seen many people outside of those bookies making us favourites.

#128 User is online   Osborne again 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 17 June 2024 - 07:25 AM

View PostRodney, on 16 June 2024 - 10:36 PM, said:

Both Foden and Trent are used to attacking from the off, with Man City's controlled build up and Liverpool's hell for leather style. They're not used to the ball being stroked about between the back four and the goalie with the odd venture forward. Foden needs the ball where he can hurt the opposition, not on the halfway line. Trent has a vast array of passes in his locker but I think he made one cross field pass all game, why? They're playing to instruction to not lose, but if he took the shackles off that team they'd rip teams apart. I'd love to see what someone like Klop could do with that squad.

#129 User is online   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2024 - 07:50 AM

It doesnt matter what players play in what positions if those players are in such a mindset that for 90%

of the time they do not play a positive ball forward in certain areas then we will not overpower teams

as we should

how many times did we get to positions in and around the Serbia box players were seen to try and run in front of the ball to try and get into positive positions but the player on the ball opted for a safe pass backwards?

Take the shackles off the players southgate and play to try and win in style rather than lets not lose first

When it gets to the real competition and not this phoney war stage at the moment thats when Southgates

tactics are flawed imo

how many times have we heard that we should have blown the ageing Italian central defence away in the last
Euro final but Southgate opted for safety first tactics and the chance to win a major trophy was lost?

#130 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2024 - 08:08 AM

View Postspireitetoo, on 16 June 2024 - 07:35 PM, said:

Need an outlet on the left, saka is tearing um a new un on the right, nothing from the left

Foden might play well for his club but in general his performances for England are below par and why he lasted the full game last night I haven?t got a clue.

This post has been edited by dtp: 17 June 2024 - 08:20 AM

#131 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 17 June 2024 - 08:13 AM

Dont think we set out to be defensive at all last night. We were on top initially playing in their half and the goal came from Saka being played in behind the full back which had happened already before the goal. Second half problem came from them pushing further up the pitch, they couldnt be as bad as they'd been first half all game, and we had players like Foden making strange decisions with the ball. One moment in the second half Foden plucked one out of the air just outside our box then for some reason opted to just leather it up the pitch instead of picking out a pass like he would do normally. Thats just on him making a bad decision not anything else. He did it in the first half when he tried a strange shot from outside the box and snatched at the shot and it went way wide, again something he wouldnt do for City.

View PostMr Mercury, on 16 June 2024 - 10:20 PM, said:

All day

So you are dropping the guy that ran his full back ragged first half and set up the goal?

#132 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2024 - 08:19 AM

View PostGoku, on 16 June 2024 - 10:18 PM, said:

Palmer doesn?t start for me, you want runners off Kane and Saka is a shoe-in for the right. I?d put Gordon left wing to stretch play and Foden to come off the bench.

On his performance last night Foden would struggle to get on Town?s bench never mind England?s.

The left side has to be addressed because Trippier isn?t an answer at LB.

Also felt central midfield looked unbalanced with Bellingham excellent and Alexander-Arnold hesitant.

Then up front, Kane provided no outlet at all when we were under the cosh and regularly came second against his marker.

#133 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 17 June 2024 - 08:19 AM

View PostJonB, on 17 June 2024 - 08:13 AM, said:

So you are dropping the guy that ran his full back ragged first half and set up the goal?

Crazy shout isn?t it. Saka killed Pavlovic the entire first half and set our goal up. Palmer can?t skin people like that, he?s a good player but our style of play often requires runners in behind and people who can take a defender on successfully.

#134 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2024 - 08:20 AM

View Postdtp, on 17 June 2024 - 08:08 AM, said:

Rodent might play well for his club but in general his performances for England are below par and why he lasted the full game last night I haven?t got a clue.

I recall he struggled to have an impact in the cup final too, so it can happen for club as well

#135 User is offline   Brookie 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My Dad took me to my first game at Saltergate age 5, he never did say what I'd done wrong, been hooked ever since

Posted 17 June 2024 - 08:21 AM

My biggest gripes are

Southgate who despite all the claims with his positive squad choices is too predictable. He doesn?t make changes when it?s not working, notwithstanding the left back problem you can?t play people out of position. Trent hasn?t played midfield enough for Liverpool, it?s not natural for him, bring him on to mix it up but don?t start with him. Foden needs to play on the right, simples. These are good players and some will argue they should be capable of playing a slightly different role but we are all creatures of habit and what they do week in week out in their usual positions is what makes these players good. Saka for me is not a 90 minute player at this level and should be used in bursts, start with Foden then swap with Saka for last 20 minutes or so.

Kane despite all the claims about him being a great player disappeared again. He should stay upfront dragging defenders out of position allowing the likes of Bellingham and Foden to fill in the gaps. He could do with a few lessons from Will Grigg how to play that role.

#136 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2024 - 08:22 AM

View Postdtp, on 17 June 2024 - 08:19 AM, said:

On his performance last night Foden would struggle to get on Town?s bench never mind England?s.

The left side has to be addressed because Trippier isn?t an answer at LB.

Also felt central midfield looked unbalanced with Bellingham excellent and Alexander-Arnold hesitant.

Then up front, Kane provided no outlet at all when we were under the cosh and regularly came second against his marker.

Roy Keane said last week that Trent will get ripped to shreds in midfield against one of the better sides. I tend to agree

#137 User is online   Osborne again 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 17 June 2024 - 08:58 AM

I don't think you can blame the players for playing to instructions, but when the Serbs pressed higher up the pitch, Southgate's slow moving passing game fell flat. The ball needs to fizz around the players, but what did we do, we went long against defenders who were giants.
The only positive to come out of last night is that we won. That side should have been taken apart in the first half.
From here on in we need a left back, someone who'll take a player on down the left and Southgate to take the shackles off, oh and get out of first gear with the passing, because it wasn't just Trent who got caught on the ball.

#138 User is offline   Bald magician 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2024 - 08:59 AM

I thought Serbia did well especially second half. We won with no real drama. Next game !

#139 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 17 June 2024 - 09:46 AM

View PostJonB, on 17 June 2024 - 07:22 AM, said:

This, i think some folk are taking the fact we are favourites with english bookies a bit too literally. They are just covering their backs knowing plenty of folk will back England and dont want to pay out a fortune. Not seen many people outside of those bookies making us favourites.

Which bookies outside of the Uk have you checked and what odds are we?

#140 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 17 June 2024 - 10:03 AM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 17 June 2024 - 09:46 AM, said:

Which bookies outside of the Uk have you checked and what odds are we?

Not bookies but not seen many pundits, reporters etc pushing us as favourites at all.

Share this topic:

• (28 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users