• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good Places To Eat In Chesterfield? Rate Topic: ****- 4 Votes

#2261 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:59 AM

View PostBlue5, on 28 August 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

Not been on a Sunday, yet.

Our last Sunday lunch out prior to the lockdown was the White Hart are Moorwood Moor which was very good.

You want to try it mate you won't be dissaponted. Booking is essential and each table goes to the carvery seperately were servers load your plate with what you require. Good segregation as well in the restaurant.
East stand second class citizen.

#2262 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2020 - 12:32 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 28 August 2020 - 11:59 AM, said:

You want to try it mate you won't be dissaponted. Booking is essential and each table goes to the carvery seperately were servers load your plate with what you require. Good segregation as well in the restaurant.

I don't think the Bluebell at South Wingfield do a carvery. Are we talking about the same place?

#2263 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 28 August 2020 - 12:51 PM

View PostBlue5, on 28 August 2020 - 12:32 PM, said:

I don't think the Bluebell at South Wingfield do a carvery. Are we talking about the same place?

Ahhhh I mean the Blue Bell at North Wingfield, just clicked now you've mentioned Morewood Moor, similar location for South Wingfield. My mistake!

#2264 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Its fair to say i have a passing interest in chesterfield fc!

Posted 28 August 2020 - 02:15 PM

[quote name='clarevoyant.' timestamp='1598609706' post='1527188']
[quote name='Middle East' timestamp='1598608547' post='1527185']
I asked them about that in both the trout and white bear and both said Fridays and Saturday's had held up well but I'm sure some places will have found that. Back to business as usual in September so to be fair if we venture out its more likely to be a weekend!

It's the post meal digestifs leading onto several night caps that the proprietors will miss out on mon/wed. Considering the mark up on these drinks it will be a large % of the bill lost.
Is pre booking a table at the weekend easier at the moment?

Couldn't tell you mate as I've only been a cheapskate and hammered Mon-Wed so far......I didn't let the night spoil consuming a few digestive either! 😁
BRITISH BY BIRTH - ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

#2265 User is offline   jack'smyboy 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:48 PM

View PostMiddle East, on 27 August 2020 - 07:47 AM, said:

We've been hammering the EOTHO offer and have been to the White Bear on Stretton twice as its a regular haunt. Excellent as always.

The Galleon, good but I wouldn't pay full whack to eat there as its still overpriced for what you get.

Thai Thai another regular of ours but turned out to be a shambles as they had overbooked the place so we had to wait 35 minutes for our pre-booked table. Then the food came out piecemeal over the next two and a half hours. The service was so bad 2 tables near us just got up and walked out....A massive complaint to the owner did result in us getting a voucher for a free meal for 4 though, but despite the food being good when it did arrive all in all it was a bit of a disaster!

Afternoon tea at Stephensons was really nice....good sort of place to treat your mum!

Last night was the Tickled Trout at Barlow and I have to say the food and service were both excellent. Loads of distancing between tables with the best COVD-19 safety precautions of the lot and the hallibut in a langoustine bisque washed down by a couple of pints of black sheep were a treat! Not the cheapest but we will definitely be returning....

Lombardi's did that to us late July, not best pleased as we thought the whole idea was to limit the number of people in the building. Ended up sat in the bar, not far enough away from the table next to it for our liking. Half-hearted apology, nothing else, even when they came to clear the main course and we had to say to leave the eldest's on the table because she'd had to go and move the car mid pizza (ticket should have been plenty had we sat down at our booked time). Didn't order a dessert in response, and the OH won't let me book there again even if I did want to go back.

We've just had a few days away, between the number of small restaurants that can't make the numbers work on distancing (so just aren't open), EOTHO, and the sheer number of UK holidaymakers, it was a nightmare trying to eat out in the evening. Umpteen phone calls to secure a booking, slow service, some decidedly dubious adherence to the guidance, and other customers who clearly 'came on holiday to get away from all that carp'. Enjoyed some lovely breakfasts thought, but we're early risers and started avoiding the EOTHO participants. Couple we went to, we overheard them saying they'd pulled out due to the problems it had caused them.

#2266 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:56 PM

We did it in a few places in Pembrokeshire last week. Did the research and booked when appropriate. For the one that you couldn't, in Tenby, we strolled in as they opened at 5 (a fairly informal burger place) and ten minutes later there was a queue down the street.

This post has been edited by Westbars Spireite: 28 August 2020 - 10:59 PM

#2267 User is offline   jack'smyboy 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:23 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 28 August 2020 - 10:56 PM, said:

We did it in a few places in Pembrokeshire last week. Did the research and booked when appropriate. For the one that you couldn't, in Tenby, we strolled in as the opened at 5 and ten minutes later there was a queue down the street.

We managed to get one night booked, but only at 5pm. First night, we got to the onsite place early because they weren't taking bookings (due to folk p'ing them about)...two and a half hours to get us some food from a menu trimmed down to eight mains (four of which were burgers and chips). We've had a takeaway from Zahid tonight, to make up for half the holiday being rain and ping dinners.

#2268 User is online   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 29 August 2020 - 08:23 AM

Anniversary dinner in The Market last Sat'di.

Had the lamb shank and wow! - absolutely nailed it.

No cheap, but y'get what y'pay for.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#2269 User is offline   jack'smyboy 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2020 - 04:24 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 29 August 2020 - 08:23 AM, said:

One place I've never felt ripped off for my meal.

How are the Covid measures?

#2270 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2020 - 05:29 PM

Went to Tickled Trout at Barlow for a family birthday on Saturday. First meal out for my grandparents in 6 months who were quite nervous about going out. Knew there was a lot of space upstairs and well distances tables for asked for one up there for us. Was perfectly organised again, and the food was great.

Since moving back to Chesterfield in May it’s definitely my favourite place to eat out at the mo.

#2271 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:08 PM

View Postjack, on 29 August 2020 - 04:24 PM, said:

One place I've never felt ripped off for my meal.

How are the Covid measures?

Only been in for a drink so it may be different when booking a meal but there aren’t any measures really.

#2272 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:28 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 27 August 2020 - 06:46 PM, said:

Is there anywhere were you can see the menu before hand or is it look on the night?

Attached File(s)

#2273 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:58 PM

Many thanks mate, will def try after our week in Cornwall.

#2274 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:42 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 31 August 2020 - 06:58 PM, said:

Many thanks mate, will def try after our week in Cornwall.

No worries mate! Enjoy your holiday and have a pint of Hicks Special Draft for me...😁

#2275 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 01 September 2020 - 07:24 AM

Relatively last minute decision to eat out at Einsiteins yesterday, luckily managed to get a table for 2 at 4pm, as long as we agreed to be out by 6.

Place was busy and as our table was close by the door we could hear them having to turn walk-ins away as they had no spare tables either inside or outside.

Table order system via a QR code on the table or you could order the old fashion way with a waiter/waitress and the staff were very attentive.

While in Rome i thought, so opted for the Steak and Ale Pie and it was very good, while the OH had a Boris Pecker burger which came with one of the biggest chicken fillets on it i'd ever seen!

Washed down with a coupe of pints of Lilleys Mango Cider and a free fruit lager that theyd been using on the bar for a photoshoot and we were in and out wihtin 90 minutes without feeling rushed.

Will definitely be going back and will be happy to pay full price next time, too.

#2276 User is offline   jack'smyboy 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:20 AM

View Postmr. smith, on 31 August 2020 - 06:08 PM, said:

Only been in for a drink so it may be different when booking a meal but there aren’t any measures really.

Thanks, I'll give it a miss for a bit then. My experience so far is that those places that don't have obvious measures seem to attract the sort of people who can't be bothered with all this. I'm back in school, and I prefer to keep my distance for both for the sake of others and work.

Odyssey, lovely meal on Friday night washed down with a couple of Fix, table ready on time, swift service, and good measures in place that haven't killed the atmosphere I'm used to in there.

#2277 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2020 - 06:24 PM

Had Sunday Lunch at the Elm Tree @ Heath today. Really good

#2278 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 06 September 2020 - 08:46 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 01 September 2020 - 07:24 AM, said:

Relatively last minute decision to eat out at Einsiteins yesterday, luckily managed to get a table for 2 at 4pm, as long as we agreed to be out by 6.

Place was busy and as our table was close by the door we could hear them having to turn walk-ins away as they had no spare tables either inside or outside.

Table order system via a QR code on the table or you could order the old fashion way with a waiter/waitress and the staff were very attentive.

While in Rome i thought, so opted for the Steak and Ale Pie and it was very good, while the OH had a Boris Pecker burger which came with one of the biggest chicken fillets on it i'd ever seen!

Washed down with a coupe of pints of Lilleys Mango Cider and a free fruit lager that theyd been using on the bar for a photoshoot and we were in and out wihtin 90 minutes without feeling rushed.

Will definitely be going back and will be happy to pay full price next time, too.

I love Einsteins. Went to the other one in Mansfield Woodhouse the other week and wasn’t impressed at all.

#2279 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:07 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 29 August 2020 - 08:23 AM, said:

Never had a bad meal there, always astounds me the consistent quality they bang out from that tiny kitchen.
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#2280 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:51 PM

Just seen that Chester's fish and chip restaurant is building a new shop at j29a which will be a restaurant/takeaway/drive thru 😁

Share this topic:

• (156 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users